Friday, May 15, 2020

Review: Mt. Mountain – Tassels 7”

I was late to the party with the Australian Psych scene but have had some fun making the time up discovering a long line of killer bands since, with one of these being Mt. Mountain. They first hooked me in with Golden Rise and I’ve been a fan ever since and discovering that a limited 7” with 2 new tracks was imminent, being the predecessor for a new full length to be released this year. 
Knowing that the first batch of the 500 copies went on pre-sale at 7am UK time, the alarm was set just in case, and I’m glad it was as minutes after I had ordered my copy it was already sold out.
Reviewing this, I haven’t got the item in my hands yet, though it looks like a rather special package from the pictures. So thanks to Bandcamp, here we go.
Tassels starts upbeat with levels of guitars and keyboard creating an ever growing soundscape that slowly twist away in the back of your mind. Like on previous records, the vocals quite subtly sit behind the music with a warm near-hypnotic feel to them. The first half of Tassels hangs off a cool psychedelic guitar hook backed with lots of cymbals, before the song bends itself into dreamy hypnotic territory with the organs and synth and the next few minutes are like a magic carpet ride into the unknown. Tassels is the sort of song that could play out for 30 or 40 minutes live.
Deluge is much more of a laid back track like a slow and magic trip into your sub-conscious. The warm dreamy mystical guitar lines walk you out towards the light backed up with hand played drum beats and it is pure magic. You can lie back, close your eyes and feel yourself drifting away, it really is that good. My only complaint is that as quick as it starts, your journey is already over.
This has really wet my appetite for what Mt. Mountain will be bringing us later in the year. I am not sure if the band or Six Tonnes De Chair Records have any copies left, but you need to be getting this from your usual digital platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment